Dave Miley– a leader with vision
- Consistently demonstrated good leadership and vision for the game. Was responsible for the introduction of the combined ranking in Junior Tennis in 2005 and the launch of the Tennis Play and Stay Campaign in 2007. He drove the rule change for 10 and under competition adopted by the ITF AGM in 2010 and the adoption of global standards for the education of coaches worldwide. He also developed and launched in 2003 the first global ratings system for tennis – The International Tennis Number (ITN) and launched the successful World Tennis Day in 2014.
- Worked for 25 years at the ITF and ran the ITF’s biggest department for 17 years, overseeing a US ten million dollar departmental budget. During this time, the department had a reputation for always delivering high quality projects and for consistently working for the interests of tennis and the member nations that own the ITF.
- Has expertise in
- Junior tennis
- Senior tennis
- Wheelchair tennis
- High performance training and competition
- Coach education
- Tennis participation
- Event management
- Anti-doping (Anti-Doping was part of the development department from 2002-2010)
- Technical and Sport science
- Medical (was member of ITF medical commission 15 years)
- Entry Level Pro tennis (was member of the joint ITF/ATP/WTA Task force 2013-2015)
- Was actively involved in ITF Board of Directors for 17 years and has considerable experience of ITF committees and how they operate.
- Has considerable experience chairing committees and Task Forces including the ITF Intro to Tennis taskforce and the ITF Coach education Task Force.
- Good people manager having overseen the ITF’s biggest department with 40+ full and 30+ part time staff based worldwide.
- Good understanding of global tennis and of the needs of the ITF the member nations, both big and small, and has personally visited 140+ITF member federations.
- Was responsible, on behalf of the President, for the ITF relations with regional associations for 17 years and attended the AGM of all 6 regions every 2 years. He understands the regional differences very well.
- Has excellent relations with the IOC, Olympic Solidarity and ASOIF. Was member of ASOIF development committee.
Was responsible on behalf of the ITF for the IOC Multi sport games including the Asian Games, African Games, Pan American Games and University Games and also the Paralympic Tennis Events in 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012.
- Has always maintained good working relations with the ATP and WTA tours and the Grand Slams. Was responsible for the Grand Slam Development Fund and presented regularly to the Grand Slam Board and its top executives.
- Has excellent relations with the Global Tennis Industry having served on the board of the Tennis Industry Association for 8 years.
- Is an accomplished tennis writer and he maintains a very active social media presence with a large following. Has published extensively on the state of international tennis and on tennis coaching. Has written seven coaching books and published extensively in both tennis and scientific journals.
- Is a very successful and popular presenter and has been a speaker at many tennis conferences worldwide as well as at other high profile global sporting events, such as the IOC Sport for All Congress and the Peace and Sport conference.
- Dave holds Irish citizenship and currently lives in Wimbledon, London. He has a second home in Dublin, Ireland. He was born in Guyana and grew up in the Caribbean until aged 8.
- From an Irish tennis family. Grandfather played at Wimbledon and was the first Irish Davis Cup captain in 1923. Good playing background and was an Irish international and National champion in doubles 3 times. Played US college tennis and played on the pro satellite circuit. Elected a full member of the All England Club in 2012.
- Prior to joining the ITF, owned an Indoor Tennis and Fitness Centre business in the UK, employing 30 people, that he built up and sold in 1997 to a Leisure Group for a substantial profit.
- Holds two degrees, one in business and one in economics. Successful business background prior to joining the ITF. He speaks the three official languages of the ITF- English, French and Spanish.
Read The Irish Times interview with Dave Miley here
Hear Dave Miley’s interview with Barry Cowan on the 2 Barrys Tennis Takeaway here
Listen to the Parenting Aces podcast with Dave Miley at this link
Hear Adam Blicher’s podcast interview with Dave Miley here
- Watch Dave Miley on YouTube in Introduction to ITF Tennis Xpress here.